Pre-requisitesPlease bring original certificates and evidence as required:
- Leadership Registration Form.
- Log Book showing evidence of experience (see syllabus for appropriate experience).
- Recognised First Aid Award (minimum 2 days training inc. CPR) within the last 3 years.
- Relevant Leadership Training – BC White Water OC1 Leader training (OR BC 4 Star White Water OC1 Training) within the last 3 years.
- Relevant Safety Training Certificate – White Water Safety & Rescue Training.
Course ContentDuring the two day we will cover as many aspects of the White Water OC1 syllabus as time and conditions allow. This will be done on moving water up to grade 2 with sections of grade 3. You will be assessed leading a group of fellow paddlers of about 3 Star standard. The assessment will include:
Personal Paddling Skills
- Lifting, carrying and launching/landing
- Efficient and effective river running skills
- Forward paddling
- Breaking in/out
- Ferry gliding
- Surf small waves
- Paddle into and out of small stoppers
- Draw stroke on the move
- Support strokes
Rescue Skills, Safety, Leadership and Group Management
- Boat and bank based safety and rescue skills
- Incident management and first aid in the moderate water environment
- Being an effective team leader and team member in rescues/incidents
- Application of leadership
- Leadership strategies, judgement and decision making
- Safety awareness and risk management
- Group control and management
- Hypothermia/first aid
- Group awareness and management
- Water features/hazards
- Leadership responsibilities