LocationScotland, France, Norway
Pre-requisitesPlease bring original certificates and evidence as required:
- Leadership Registration Form.
- Log Book showing evidence of experience (see BC syllabus for appropriate experience).
- Recognised First Aid Award (minimum 2 day training inc. CPR) within the last 3 years.
- Relevant Leadership Training – BC Canoe Leader Training or BC 4 Star Open Canoe Leader Training within the last 3 years.
- Relevant Safety Training Certificate – White Water Safety & Rescue Training.
Course ContentDuring the two days we will cover as many aspects of the Canoe Leader Syllabus as time and conditions allow. This will be done on moving water up to grade 2 and on open water in winds up to force 4. You will be assessed leading a group of fellow paddlers of about 3 Star standard. The assessment will include:
Personal Paddling Skills
- Lifting, carrying and launching/landing
- Efficient and effective grade 2 river running skills
- Upstream manoeuvres (ferries and S-turns)
- Checking, setting and reverse ferry gliding
- Eddy turns into and out of the current
- Support strokes
- Efficient and effective open water skills
- Paddling effectively up, down and across a force 3-4 wind
- Boat and bank based safety and rescue skills
- Incident management and first aid in the moderate water environment
- Being an effective team leader and team member in rescues/incidents
- Application of leadership
- Leadership strategies, judgement and decision making
- Safety awareness and risk management
- Group control and management
- Hypothermia/first aid
- Group awareness and management
- Leadership responsibilities