LocationScotland, France, Norway
Pre-requisitesPlease bring original certificates and evidence as required:
- Leadership Registration Form.
- Log Book showing evidence of experience (see BC syllabus for appropriate experience).
- Recognised First Aid Award (minimum 2 day training inc. CPR) within the last 3 years.
- Relevant Leadership Training – BC Advanced Canoe Leader Training or BC 5 Star Open Canoe Leader Training within the last 3 years.
- Relevant Safety Training Certificate – White Water Safety & Rescue Training.
Course ContentDuring the two day we will cover as many aspects of the Advanced Canoe Leader syllabus as time and conditions allow. This will be done on moving water up to grade 3 and on open water in wind over force 4. You will be assessed leading a group of fellow paddlers of about Canoe Leader standard. The assessment will include:
Personal Paddling Skills
- Efficient and effective grade 3 river running skills
- Efficient and effective open water skills (wind up to force 5)
- Boat and bank based safety and rescue skills, including self rescue
- Incident management and first aid in the advanced water environment
- Being an effective team leader and team member in rescues/incidents
Safety, Leadership and Group Skills
- Application of leadership
- Leadership strategies, judgement and decision making
- Safety awareness and risk management
- Group control and management
- Hypothermia/First aid
- Group awareness and management
- Leadership responsibilities
- Water features/hazards